The 2017 scholarship application submission period is now open. Scholarship applications can be completed on our Scholarship page.
About the Mariah’s Challenge Scholarship Program
The Mariah’s Challenge Scholarship Program is a private non-profit program operated through the Mariah Daye McCarthy Scholarship Foundation and provides scholarships to Butte-Silver Bow high school seniors who epitomize the ideals of the Foundation. Mariah’s Challenge is dedicated to the prevention of underage drinking and promoting healthy adolescent lifestyles. The scholarships are based on the student’s adherence to the challenge as well as their character and community commitments. The program is not based on grades, financial need, or leadership/achievement.
Mariah’s Challenge provides the opportunity for applicants to earn a one-time, non-renewable scholarship in an amount determined by the organization. Scholarships are sent directly to the institution the student will attend. The funds may be used for tuition, books, fees, supplies, and room and board.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a graduating senior and a resident of Butte-Silver Bow County;
- Be a full-time undergraduate student for an entire academic year at an accredited fouryear college, trade school, or vocational school;
- Have accepted Mariah’s Challenge and must have refrained from drinking since taking the challenge. No applicant will be accepted that has a minor in possession or any other alcohol related offense after February 2, 2008 (the official launch date of Mariah’s Challenge);
- Have refrained from the use of illegal drugs
Though it is not a requirement for the scholarship, we strongly encourage applicants to become involved with Mariah’s Challenge, TASC, TIP, Butte Cares, or any community service organization or activity that promotes healthy lifestyles and the betterment of Butte, Montana. Leo McCarthy, Jimm Kilmer, Chad Okrusch, and Jon Wick will interview all applicants.
- Completed application
- A 300 word (or less) essay titled, “How Mariah’s Challenge Has Changed My Life”
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from adult members of the Butte community
Information on the current scholarship application period or to confirm your college please visit our Scholarship Page.